FOXTAIL MILLET PULAO:
- 2 cups Foxtail Millet Rice
- 2 Onions chopped
- 1 Spoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 Spoon chilli paste
- 1 spoon mint and coriander paste
- Chopped tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beans and anything else as you may like
- Pulao masala
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 spoons of oil and fry the chopped onions till they become golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and salt to taste
- Add Pulao masala, chopped vegetables and stir fry for few minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water, the Kodo millet rice and close the pressure cooker.
- Cook for 2 whistles and allow it to cool.
- Open the pressure cooker, add the mint, coriander paste and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raitha.
FOXTAIL MILLET PAYASAM:
- 1 Cup Foxtail Millet Rice
- 1/4 Cup Moon Dal
- 1 cup powdered jaggery
- 1 cup milk
- About 10 broken cashews
- In a pressure cooker, add the washed millets and moong daal along with 3 1/2 cups of water and cook for 2 whistles
- In a kadai, heat 1 spoon of ghee; Add broken cashews stir till the cashews turn golden brown and empty this into a bowl
- Add the jaggery and heat with 1 cup of water. Once melted, add elaichi powder, the cooked millet and moong daal mixture and boil 2 -3 minutes while stirring continuously
- Remove the kadai from the flame, add milk and throughly stir the mixture and finally garnish with cashews and serve either hot or cold
Foxtail Millet (Navane, Thinai), 500 gms
Hindi: Kangni; Tamil: Thinai; Telugu: Korra; Kannada:Navane; Malayalam: Thina
Foxtail Millet isrich in Protein, Iron, Calcium, anti oxidants and Minerals (Manganese, Magnesium and Phosphorous). They are healthy alternative to rice, wheat and also gluten free.
Composition for 100 Gms
|Protein (g)||Fat (g)||Minerals (g)||Fibre (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Calcium (g)||Phosphorous (g)||Thiamin (g)|